Markets are essential in Cambodia and a daily place to visit for Cambodians. And you can find pretty much anything in Phnom Penh markets. Phnom Penh has both large and small markets, most have a focus on specific items, so here are the top markets in Phnom Penh for visitors to explore. We’ve included a map to find them and details of the market opening times as well as what you can expect there.
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN COMPENSATED AND AFFILIATE LINKS MORE INFORMATION IN OUR DISCLAIMER
While Phnom Penh has its fair share of regular stores, the market is still the main place to buy food and non-food items in the capital. There are markets all over, but here are the main ones and what you can find there.
Here are the top 5 markets in Phnom Penh to Explore
From fruit and veg to meat. From knock-off everything to clothing, shoes, and electric appliances, here are the main markets in Phnom Penh that you’ll want to take a look at.
1. The Central Market – Psar Thmei, Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh’s Central Market is an original Art Deco version of a traditional market that opened its doors in 1937 and is known locally as Phsar Thmei. This Phnom Penh Market is located in a very distinctive dome.
While many people only see it from the outside, you’ll want to go inside and check out the ceiling. And, of course, what you can buy here!
There’s everything here – from food, souvenirs, and handicrafts to jewelry, gems, and trinkets. The center dome is surrounded by stalls including in this part watches and jewelry.
- Address of Central Market Phnom Penh: Street 126, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Opening Hours of Central Market Phnom Penh: Central Market is open daily from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.
2. The Old Market, Phnom Penh
Visit the Old Market, also known as Phsar Chas, where the locals shop, if you want a sense of real market life, but you’ll have to get up early for this experience.
This market in Phnom Penh really is one of the most authentic markets and is the local’s favorite place for fresh produce.
Phsar Chas is near the river in the Old French Quarter. If you take a cooking class along with a market tour, you will definitely go to this market.
- Address of The Old Market, Phnom Penh: Oknha Plong, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Opening Hours of The Old Market: The Old Market is open daily from 5:00 am to 5:00 pm. However, you may find a lot of souvenir vendors in the market’s south area until 8:00 pm.
3. The Russian Market, Phnom Penh
This famous market in Phnom Penh, which is also known by its native name Phsar Toul Tom Poung, is a favorite among tourists who come there to bargain over the variety of handcraft items offered there. The market takes its name from the large number of local Russian residents and Russian tourists who used to come here to shop.
You’re best heading here early in the morning, it opens at 6 am, as from lunchtime through the afternoon the Russian market tends to get seriously hot!
Cool down at sunset with a sundowner at the sunset social club and check out views of the market
- Address of The Russian Market Phnom Penh: St. 163 Corner of St. 440, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Opening Hours of The Russian Market, Phnom Penh: The Russian Market is open daily from 6:00 am to 4:30 pm.
4. The Olympic Market, Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh’s Olympic Market is the place to come for fabric and the tailors who will make that fabric into custom clothing or perhaps bedding. There are three floors of fabric here – if you’ve been to Hoi An in Vietnam you’ll know that the clothing tailors there are famous, and it’s pretty much the same here. It’s probably best to undertake any fittings for custom clothing here before you head to the food carts, which provide some of the best authentic Khmer foods here too.
- Address of The Olympic Market, Phnom Penh: 95 St 286, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Opening Hours of The Olympic Market, Phnom Penh: The Olympic Market is open daily from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
5. The Night Market, Phnom Penh
This is a cheap and easy place to explore some of the food of Cambodia. There are plenty of stalls here with a variety of Western and Cambodian options to eat. You’ll find lots of grilled meat, noodle soups, and shellfish. Add to that the plastic chairs and tables as well as carpets to sit on and eat your wares.
Shopping seems to be a major Cambodian pastime, so don’t worry there are also stalls here where you can buy all sorts as well, including souvenirs, shoes, jewelry, and clothing.
- Address of Phnom Penh Night Market: Preah Sisowath Quay, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Opening Hours of Phnom Penh Night Market: Phnom Penh Night Market is open daily, from 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm.
Map of Phnom Penh’s Markets to visit
You can see the full map of the best markets in Phnom Penh here.
Travel Tips for Exploring Cambodia
- Considering travel insurance for your trip? World Nomads offers coverage for more than 150 adventure activities as well as emergency medical, lost luggage, trip cancellation, and more.
- Download and install a VPN BEFORE you travel to Cambodia > discount coupon here
- Arriving by air? Book your airport transfer with Welcome Pickups here.
- Book the best Cambodia tours and guides on Get Your Guide
- Save money in Cambodia with a Wise debit card
- Read about getting around Cambodia in our guide to Cambodian Transport
- Book Buses in Cambodia with 12goAsia
- Book accommodation in Cambodia with Booking
Final Words on the Best Markets to Visit in Phnom Penh
Whether you’re looking for clothes, shoes, watches, jewelry, or food Phnom Penh’s markets have you covered. We’ve bought watches, shoes, and food at them all. There was food to take back to the house we were staying in, and also food to sit and eat in the market itself. Of course, you also don’t need to buy anything, there are some great photo opportunities too at the top markets in Phnom Penh.
We receive a fee when you get a quote from World Nomads using our affiliate links. We do not represent World Nomads. This is not a recommendation to buy travel insurance.
ASocialNomad is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, and amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.